Our nation’s nuclear energy plants are vital national assets that provide reliable, carbon-free electricity to tens of millions of households and businesses around the country. Despite their value, a combination of economic factors – including low natural gas prices, energy policies and market rules that fail to recognize this value – places these plants in economic jeopardy.
The mission of Nuclear Matters is to inform the public about the clear benefits that nuclear energy provides to our nation, raise awareness of the economic challenges to nuclear energy that threaten those benefits, and to work with stakeholders to explore possible policy solutions that properly value nuclear energy as a reliable, affordable and carbon-free electricity resource that is essential to America’s energy future.
In furtherance of this mission, Nuclear Matters will reach out to stakeholders around the country to hear directly from them about the importance of nuclear energy to their states and communities and find the solutions that will help to preserve this essential energy resource.
Former United States Senator and former Governor of Indiana
Former United States Senator and former Governor of New Hampshire
- Spencer Abraham – Former United States Secretary of Energy and former United States Senator
- Vicky Bailey – Former Commissioner of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and former Assistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs of the United States Department of Energy
- Carol M. Browner – Former Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Administrator and former Director of the White House Office of Energy and Climate Change Policy
- Bill Daley – Former United States Secretary of Commerce and former White House Chief of Staff
- Lonnie Stephenson – President of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Blanche Lincoln – Former United States Senator
- Larry Lindsey – Former Assistant to the President and Director of the National Economic Council at the White House
- Sean McGarvey – President of the North America's Building Trades Unions
- David Wright – Former President of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC) and Chairman of the South Carolina Public Service Commission (PSC)
Nuclear Matters works closely with partner organizations who recognize the value of America’s nuclear energy plants. This growing roster of allies is integral to our efforts to educate the public on the clear benefits of nuclear energy and to explore possible policy solutions to preserve this essential energy resource.
Click on each institution to learn more:
Nuclear Matters is supported by a cross-section of individuals, organizations, and businesses united in their view that nuclear power plays a critical role in our energy portfolio, and that existing nuclear power plants should be preserved.